TORONTO — The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) and MusiCounts announced today the appointment of its new members joining the 2022-2023 Board of Directors.
Joining the board for the 2022-2023 term are:
- Adam Burchill: Head of Sports and Gaming, North America, TikTok
- Dr. Julie Nagam: Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Arts, Collaboration and Digital Media
Artistic Director of Nuit Blanche Toronto 2020/22
Director of aabijijiwan New Media Lab and Co-Director of Kishadigeh Collaborative Research Centre
Professor at the University of Winnipeg
- Kate Purchase: Senior Director, CEO Platform, Office of the CEO at Microsoft
- Mark Harrison: Founder, The T1 Agency
“We are honoured to announce the new members added to our Board of Directors at CARAS and MusiCounts,” said Allan Reid, President & CEO, CARAS/The JUNO Awards. “They’ll join an esteemed group of professionals with a like minded goal for championing Canada’s diverse and inclusive music scene and supporting music education. We are excited to foster working relationships with these unique leaders as we gear up for the 2023 JUNO Awards in Edmonton.”
CARAS and MusiCounts acknowledge the commitment of all its board members who continue to proactively champion Canadian artists and their music and offer their knowledge and guidance to the CARAS and MusiCounts organizations. CARAS and MusiCounts would like to thank its outgoing board members, Bruce Allen, Christina Litz, Rob Zifarelli and Mark Cohon for their dedication and service.
The Complete List of the 2022-2023 CARAS and MusiCounts Board of Directors and Officers:
- Chair/Executive Producer – Julie Adam
- President & CEO/Executive Producer – Allan Reid, President & CEO, CARAS/JUNO Awards
- 1st Vice-Chair – Shane Carter, President, Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc.
- 2nd Vice-Chair – Kristen Burke, President, Warner Music Canada
- Secretary – Melissa Bubb-Clarke, Vice President, Music & Live Events Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment
- Alexandra Bellamy – Managing Director, Head of Assurance and Advisory Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Erik Hoffman – President, Toronto Live Nation
- Helen Britton – President & CEO, Management Six Shooter Inc.
- Jeffrey Remedios – President & CEO, Universal Music
- Jennifer Dettman – Executive Director, Unscripted Content CBC
- Miro Oballa – Partner, Taylor Oballa Murray Leyland LLP Entertainment and Media Lawyers
New Board Member Headshots: Toolkit
Official JUNO Awards Website: www.staging.junoawards.ca
Official MusiCounts Website: www.musicounts.ca
The JUNO Awards
The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) is a not-for-profit organization created to preserve and enhance the Canadian music industry and promote higher artistic and industry standards. CARAS’ mandate is comprised of four key pillars: Educate through our music education charity, MusiCounts, programs and initiatives; Develop emerging artists through mentorship and development programs; Celebrate Canadian artists with year-round JUNO Awards showcasing; and Honour music industry icons through the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. The 52nd Annual JUNO Awards Broadcast will take place in Edmonton at Rogers Place on Monday, March 13, 2023. For more information on the JUNO Awards or The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) please visit www.staging.junoawards.ca.
MusiCounts is Canada’s music education charity associated with CARAS and the JUNO Awards. MusiCounts’ vision is to ensure all youth in Canada have access to music education through their schools and communities. This vision is realised through grant programs that invest directly into schools and communities across Canada and put musical instruments into the hands of kids. Additionally, MusiCounts creates educational resources; empowers young people to pursue music as a career; and celebrates teachers, artists, and philanthropists who champion music education. Since 1997 MusiCounts has awarded over $15,700,000 in support of music education in Canada.
For interview requests, image requests or additional information, please contact:
Dillon Shaver, rock-it promotions, firstname.lastname@example.org